What was new on our website in 2015?
please scroll down the page
For other years please return to the foot of the current What's New pageDecember 2015
please note that as this website grows some older page navigations may now be obsolete
- Michael Butcher SG58, now in Norfolk, regains contact. He adds Alexander MacMillan to the 1965 School Photo. "I would also like to lay claim to the 440 yards Open record in 1965 - 55.8 seconds. I did have the winning certificate somewhere and will forward it on if it will be any use for the archives. I remember the race well because my ‘mate’ Richard Mellors ran me really close and a photo - long lost - did appear in the local press with me chesting the line!
- David Sale SG46 fills in a couple of gaps in the 1949 School Photo, adding himself and John Christopher ('a senior police office in the Cambridgeshire force').
- Andrew Cullum SG58 adds names to the 1960 and 1965 School Photos and provides a reminiscence of a Sixth Form Revue done at an Old Boy's Dinner which is to be added to the report on Mike Petty's talk.
- Another enjoyable reunion, 58 attending (and it could have been more). Mike Petty SG57, our speaker, was pleased to be back among us, A full report is being prepared.
Next year's Annual Luncheon is on Saturday 1st October.
Booking forms for our ANNUAL REUNION LUNCH on Saturday 3rd October, 1230 for 1330, were posted or emailed as appropriate on 1st September.
The price including wine is £27 for a three course meal and tea/coffee and biscuits.
The talk this year is Reflections on Eight Decades of looking Back on Cambridgeshire and will be given by Mike Petty MBE, who came to SGS in 1957. He was the founder of the Cambridgeshire Collection and is a well known local historian.
Please book as soon as possible - click on 2015 booking form
- Dannie Nicholas SG59 has asked me to remind all SG59ers that he hopes that as many as possible of you will make it to the lunch this year. He already has drummed up support from several of us. As Chris Bent SG53 our usual MC is still recovering from heart surgery, John Dimmock SG59 has stepped in as MC this year.
- Stu Porter SG59 is now in contact. He lives in Pennsylvania, USA. On the Pages by/on SGs page there is a link to a page about him.
- Lewis Heavens LLB SG44 died on 7th July 2015 aged 82. Ill health prevented from attending recent reunions. Originally intending to study pharmacology sponsored by Boots, National Service in the RAF attracted him to the service kind of life. He retired as Chief Inspector in the Norfolk Police. He then studied for a degree in Law whilst working for a firm of solicitors in Kings Lynn. He finally retired, from teaching Law, at the age of 75. A full obituary provided by his widow Sheila can be seen on the In Memoriam page.
- John Gammon SG63 died at his home in Ely on Monday 10th August 2015 aged 63. A Benefit Gig for John will be held at The Kings Arms, St. Mary’s Street, Ely on Friday 4th September, music starts at 9pm. His funeral will be at Cambridge Crematorium West Chapel on Monday 7th September, 2015 at 4.30 pm.
See also an obituary from the Wisbech Standard
- Barry Jelleyman SG49 has died aged 77. His funeral was at St Peter's Church, Fordham on 28 July 2015 - see In Memoriam
- John Clayton (John Golla SG68) has made contact to correct some IDs on the 1972 School Photo.
- Wilkes Walton SG36 has provided updates to Fred Hockley's page. Fred was the last British combat casualty of WW2, shot down over Japan and executed 9 hours after the Emperor's surrender broadcast - see via In Memoriam > WW2 Roll of Honour > Fred Hockley
- An obituary for Graham Whiting SG70 has been added to the In Memoriam page. He died in November 2013.
- Please keep Saturday 3rd October free in your diary - that's the day of our Annual Reunion Lunch this year - more details soon.
- Richard Crofts SG63 IDs himself on one of the 1967 Senior Prizegiving photos - see via Scrapbook
- Albert Edwin Peacock (1930 entry?) died on 21 May 2015, aged 96. He served with the Royal Artillery in WW2 in Burma and India. He played cricket for Soham in his youth. He was a farmer. He was much involved with Soham Berrycroft Methodist Church, where his funeral took place on June 9 2015 - see In Memoriam
Robert Wiseman SG70 makes contact. He was a boarder. He lives in East Anglia.
Colin Hambidge SG68 spotted an announcement in the Cambridge News about the death of Robert Medlock SG68 on 12th March 2015 aged 58. His funeral was on 21st April at the Chapel, Newmarket Road Cemetery Cambridge. He contributed several items to this website.
Scrap Book of the Isle of Ely is the title of a collection of references to the 'forgotten isle'. Many SGS boys and EHS girls lived in that part of Cambridgeshire. Mike Delanoy (SG48) with his wife Lorna (née Freeman, EHS 51) have collected memorabilia over the years and have produced this little book. It costs £4.50. All profits go to East Anglian Children's Hospices. It can be bought from Burrows Bookshop in Ely or ordered direct from 01353 777691.
Vernon Fretwell SG50 writes: my brother Cedric Fretwell SG48 passed away on Friday March 27 2015. He had been quite ill for some time but died peacefully in Kings Lynn hospital. Cedric leaves a daughter and three sons and their families. His funeral service will be held on April 24th at 3pm at the Surfleet (near Spalding) Crematorium and also following this at the Chapel in Gosberton, Lincolnshire - for more see In Memoriam
Did any of your friends or family go to Ely High School? The EHS Annual Luncheon in Ely is coming up on 16th May and bookings close on 2nd May. For more information see EHS 2015 booking form
Bernard Anderson SG65 died on Sunday 15th February while on a skiing holiday in France with his son. He was 61. His funeral is at 2.30pm on Friday 6th March, at St Mary the Virgin, Salehurst, East Sussex. Bernard had built up a quality certification business, Eagle Certification Ltd, based in Robertsbridge: via John Lester
The page on Mr WAG Burroughs of Soham who took many of the photos of school events, reported in November/December, has now been completed with the help of his family, especially his daughter Jill. The origins of the painting by WAG recently donated to SVC have been clarified - see via Scrapbook
Via Lees Donaldson '59' news of the death of Ronnie (Ronald James) Southgate 45 at the age of 80 in Newmarket on 28th January 2015. There was a memorial service on Saturday 14th February at 2.30pm at St Martin's Church, Exning. Lees worked under Ronnie at Spillers as did some other SGs.
Philip Oakes 61, in the West Country, is back in touch.
All the best for 2015 to you.
There were 3 email additions in 2015 (3 in 2014, 4 in 2013, 12 in 2012, 18 in 2011, 18 in 2010, 18 in 2009, 53 in 2008, 37 in 2007, 34 in 2006, 28 in 2005, 40 in 2004).